Sunday, March 29, 2015
Spring is here! Or if you live in Southern California, it seriously feels like summer already. I had a chance to go shopping lately for some Spring stuff (as well as some non-spring items) and I thought I'd do a little haul.
I have TJMaxx right by my work and it's a real shame that I don't go there more often. This particular TJMaxx always has really great stuff (mostly clothes, not so much for the home section though). I'm absolutely in love with Spendid shirts made from the modal material and this store usually has a bunch. This time, I was inspired to go shopping for some looks I saw from the Spring "Looks We Love" section of their site. I really love this pink ensemble from their site.
So when I went shopping, I was looking to add a bit of color to my usual white, grey, black palette that I have going on. I ended up buying this American Eagle Aerie Favorite T (similar) in the v-neck style ($6.99). I have extremely sensitive skin to the point where there are certain clothes that I buy that I wear once and I never wear it again because it irritates my skin so much. There are certain shirts and pants that I have to cut off all the tags, otherwise I get itch-crazy. This tee is made of 60% cotton and 40% polyester and it's extremely comfortable. It does look like a shrinker so I'd be aware when washing/drying especially if you are looking for a looser fit shirt.
I'm guessing I'm really into the bright pink/coral color for spring because I ended up purchasing a second tee that looks very similar to the Aerie tee. This one isn't that "washed out" material of the Aerie one so it would be a great option for going out without that beachy/casual look.
I couldn't steer clear of the whites for long. I love all things white and the trouble I have with white pants or shorts are that they seem to always show my underwear. I haven't been able to find a pair of shorts that aren't practically see-through. While I was browsing, I picked up a pair of high-waisted scalloped shorts just for shits and giggles and I ended up loving them! They actually matched really well with the pink/coral shirts I had picked out. The great thing about solid white shorts is the versatility. If you want to look more put together, I'd go for an all-white monochromatic outfit. For a more fun look, pair the shorts with a floral/printed top.
This is all the Spring/Summer items I have bought so far. There are a few more items I'm looking to add to my wardrobe this season like some culottes (which I could also be good for work as well), fringe stuff, a maxi dress, nice sweat-proof sandles (I have a hyperhidrosis problem) and a jumpsuit. I'll keep ya'll updated! Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Monday, March 23, 2015
There's about a week left in March but it's still a good time to see how we are doing so far.
I did purchase a bit of stuff this month for myself. I splurged on some flats for work as well as a purse I'd been wanting. I've also been shopping around for some more suitable work clothes. Looks like I'm still doing ok but I should be cutting some spending, especially since next month is a rent month. Just one more week! Save save save!
Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Don't forget that it's tax season! Don't procrastinate!
Monday, March 09, 2015
The last few weeks have been both stressful and rewarding. Work has been quite hectic and I haven't really gotten a chance to recharge. I took a few days off two weeks ago when my friend came from Hawaii to visit and we headed up to Disneyland. Every time I set foot into that place, I get sucked back into getting an annual pass. This time, I made the jump and got a pass. I'm definitely feeling the itch to go back now that I have a pass but now it's about finding the time to go.
March was going to be the time when I started all my changes. Maybe that was a little too ambitious of me. This year surprised me because usually January is super stressful because there are a lot of changes going on at work. However, this year, it seems like as the year progresses, the stress levels are increasing. One of my favorite YouTubers, Ingrid Nilsen, read my mind and made a video on Relaxing and Letting Go. I found her tips to be really helpful and it was like a little hug to let me know that I'm not alone when it comes being stressed and overwhelmed.
Let's take a look at a few of my goals this year and how they've been coming along.
- My finances are actually going quite swimmingly. I've been following my budget of 50-25-25 (debt, save, fun, respectively) although I've been trying to put a bit more towards debt than 50%. I still have my goal of being debt free by 33 and I'm really close to being able to reach that goal.
- I've been speaking with friends and just gathering information on what I should do in terms of putting money into my 401k or putting money into a Roth IRA. I looked into how much I had actually put into for 401k last year (vs. the total including my company match) and I was NOWHERE near the maximum of $17,500 in 2014 ($18,000 in 2015). In 2014, I put 5% of my pay towards my 401k. This past month, I increased it to 15%. My reasoning for this is that it will drop my taxable income down drastically since these are before-tax contributions.
- Initially we thought that we'd be able to spend our Saturdays heading out to buy our groceries for the week at the farmer's market. However, looking at how costly some of the stuff is, we've decided against it. The prices at the market were double what we'd pay for at, for example, Sprouts.
- We have been exploring the area quite a bit but I haven't posted any of my foodsplorations because I wanted to at least try a place out twice (to a few times) before giving it a review.
- I actually cooked a bit more in January than February so I'll hopefully be posting some of those up soon. We've been having out of town guests and exploring the neighborhood so that usually doesn't leave much time for cooking.
- Wow. This has been absolutely non-existent! I made a whole calendar for March and I haven't even done one day of booty exercises. Well, sometimes life throws some curve-balls at you but that doesn't mean the game is over. Step back up to that plate with your game face on.
- With all this budgeting and finance talk, a vacation seems less and less likely this year. I'll still probably plan for my annual Hawaii trip sometime in the fall when fares drop to their cheapest but as for right now, a Peru trip seems very far from fruition. I was looking at it and it would cost approximately $4,500 for the two of us to head out to Peru. Ideally, we would want to go in May and it seems very unlikely. I was researching and it seems that the best time to go to Peru is in May. I feel like saving that kind of money for a vacation in the latter part of the year would be much easier than shelling out the money up front. But as of right now, we have no plans to do any sort of traveling this year :/.
Hope everyone had a great weekend!
I'll talk to ya'lls very soon!
Monday, March 02, 2015
March is officially here! Quite scary for me since I'm basically supposed to be starting all of my changes this month. But first, I'll reflect on how I did for February. Like I had said previously, I wanted to make sure to keep my spending low in the beginning of the month because I knew I would be spending quite a bit a money during the end of the month (take a look at my "Out of Town" expenses).
Tony and I switch off paying rent (one month I'll pay, and the next month he'll pay) so money is a bit tighter on rent months. I was still able to pay much more on my loan payment which is good. However, I was in the negatives in terms of money rolling over to next month. This isn't such a big deal since I know for March, I don't have to pay rent so I'll be able to save a bit more.
So far so good! Hope everyone had a great weekend!
I'm ready for you, March!
Friday, February 27, 2015
March has officially creeped itself into the picture :/. It's the month that I'll be implementing all my crazy life changes so we'll see how that goes!
For today's post I wanted to go ahead and post my booty workout/challenge I'll be doing. I'll probably be doing these right when I get home from work. I feel like when I just get home from work, I'm still running off that high of running around all day. On the days that I work the late shift, I'll probably do these right when I get up, that way I can hop into the shower right after and get the day started.
|sorry this is so small. i was having technical difficulties lol|
Feel free to join me this month and get your booty into shape!
Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Monday, February 23, 2015
It's that time of the month again when we take a look at how we're doing in terms of spending. Looking at the total, it's a tad more than I'd like to have spent. I have to prepare for some high spending events at the end of February so I'd like to have a good chunk saved up. However, around this time last month I was already past $1,000 so this month is a bit of a improvement but we'll have to see how the entire month comes out. Until then, how is your February budget panning out?
Less than 15 days to go until the end of the month! Let's make it under $1200 this month!
Friday, February 13, 2015
One of my big goals this year is to start working out. I've been doing a lot of Pinterest-ing and I've found some really good stuff. First off, I'm going to say I'm definitely no expert in regards to fitness. If anything I'm currently being awarded the "Sloth of the Year" award. I haven't worked out since I've moved to San Diego O_O. So yeah... I thought I'd make a real effort to work out this year.
I bought a Groupon for a barre workout place that's walking distance from our apartment. It's 1 month of unlimited use. Plus, under the conditions it states that I can purchase and use the same Groupon every 6 months so if I really enjoy this place, I can purchase another Groupon in 6 months. This place sounds really promising so I'm excited. Right now I'm planning to start using the service in April (but we'll see).Calendar of Fitness
So I've been trying to plan a simple workout to start in March. I've basically looked online and I actually found a site with a really great Fitness Tracker you can just print out. They even have some 30 day challenges like squats, wall sit, plank, etc. If you're more on the lazy side and can only commit to one thing a month, this might be a good option for you.Start Small
I've been slowly trying to integrate exercises into my daily activities, especially when I'm sitting at the couch watching television. I usually try to do some arm exercises with dumbbells or leg raises with some ankle weights.Research
The hardest part of starting is that I basically have no idea what exercises to do. I've been pinning a crap load of stuff but videos are even more helpful if you're short on time. For instance, I'm trying to tone my arms (living in Southern California, you can pretty much wear a tank top every single day of the year) and I actually found this pretty good 10-minute Tone: Arm Workout. I'll be doing an arm workout as well as a butt challenge for March and I'll post more about it next week.
Hope everyone's week has been going well and TGIF!
Whether you love or hate Valentine's Day, make an effort to love and appreciate yourself.
No matter what has happened up until this point, you've survived! Just keep swimming.
Have a great weekend!