Tuesday, February 19, 2013

January: Foodie Adventures Part 1

January was the month to try new restaurants in San Diego because of San Diego Restaurant Week! Lots of yummy food. Some of the places weren't during restaurant week but I thought I'd add them into this post anyways.


Devine Pastabilities

The first place I tried this month was Devine Pastabilities in San Diego. I'm a huge fan of pasta so I was super excited to try this place since they put pasta in a sandwich. I was actually pleasantly surprised! The sandwiches were super good and it's definitely a place I would return to. I think it would be perfect for a night in watching movies. Totally a comfort food for me.

garlic parmesan fries. believe me, my breath smelled delicious afterwards lol

sausage and penne torpasta

tony got some kind of  special one

lasagna torpasta


Brooklyn Girl

After seeing an article in the Westways magazine and it was also named number 5 in Troy Johnson's Best of 2012 list in San Diego Magazine, we decided to give this place a try. We tried to go to this place on either Thursday or Saturday night but they were booked for the night! They have community tables and also a bar area but it's first come first serve and even when we dropped by, there was nothing available. When we found out they were also doing restaurant week, we decided to go back. We invited Tony's cousin and her fiance to come along and made a same day reservation at about 5pm and the only available reservation was at 9:30pm. We grabbed some drinks at the community tables since we had gotten there early and our table wasn't quite ready yet. Their "Back Pocket Mule" was super good! I would definitely go back to try more of their specialty cocktails. And we also got some popcorn to snack on as we waited.

For the first course, we really wanted to try the Oyster Sliders but they were completely out since we had the last reservation of the night :( so we ended up going with the Bacon Wrapped Vietnamese Meatballs. They were actually really good and a lot spicier than I thought they would be.

bacon wrapped vietnamese meatballs
first courses

popcorn and my back pocket mule

restaurant week menu

tony got the fire roasted poblano chili

course #2: seafood stew
very good! good for those that like spicy foods and seafood.
there was A LOT of everything so they aren't skimping out on the good stuff.

course #2 for tony: kung pao short ribs

creme brulee

banana cheesecake
The meal started off great with the food and drinks tasting great however, the dessert really killed it. I don't usually get desserts so if this wasn't a San Diego Restaurant Week thing, I probably would have been more satisfied with the meal. The appetizer and the main course were very tasty and flavorful so I would recommend going elsewhere for dessert. This would be a good place for drinks and appetizers with co-workers or to hang out with friends. Probably would head back to try some more of their specialty cocktails and try their friend oyster sliders!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...