Wednesday, November 02, 2011

october - makeup haul

I feel like such a teen doing a makeup haul post but hey, I was a repressed Asian girl that didn't get to use any makeup in high school (except for formal occasions) and I didn't even start using makeup until maybe senior year in college (besides eyeliner which I don't know how I lived without for so long lol). According to my mom, make up was for grown ups... not kids (but then again, I'm always going to be a kid in my mom's eyes so I guess I should never wear makeup lol). Anyways, I purchased a lot of stuff in October so I'll go ahead and talk a little bit about that.

Anywhos, after eating at Extraordinary Desserts I wanted to make another visit to CVS (I know... I know... as if I don't spend enough time there as it is for work lol) to look for some drugstore makeup stuff. Maybe the whole makeup thing is hitting me 10 years later but I never used make-up in high school (and back then I had so much acne, even the best concealer could not hide the shinanigans growing on my face) and I've been trying to experiment with makeup lately. I think this recent spark in makeup started because of work. I seriously wear the same clothes every day! Like the same slacks, same shoes, swap out the shirt, hair up (because I can't stand it when my hair is all up in my face or tangled in a phone cord!), and no accessories. I used to wear studs to work but I'm on the phone soooooo much that it hurts my ear :/. Anyways, a lot of my technicians wear makeup and it looks really decent, not too clown-y so I wanted to give it a try.

Soooo, lol, went on quite the tangent there but I've wanted to try using some of the more natural looking eye shadows and what better way than to go NAKED lol. I keed, I keed. But when I went to ULTA earlier in the day, I did end up purchasing the Urban Decay NAKED palette. The colors are great but unfortunately you can have the best paint but if you have no technique, your painting will still look like a piece of shit. Got to practice, practice, practice. I also had a bunch of CVS ExtraBucks to spend so that's why we went to CVS. I ended up getting a bunch of stuff that Holly recommended in her videos (but seriously, watching her channel will make you want to shop until you drop so be warned!!!)

Here are the items I got (this is good so I can keep track haha):



Item: Maybelline Eyestudio Color Explosion Palette(?) lol in Caffeine Rush
Cost (at CVS): $10.79
Promotions: BOGO 50% off Maybelline products
Thoughts: I really like this palette for every day. I've been using it a lot on days I don't have to go to work. Don't want to look like a clown at work lol but I do use the bottom nude-ish color and the darker brown color in the "V" for a made-up look on days I go to work. 




Item: Maybelline Stylish Smokes Quad in Natural Smokes
Cost (at CVS): $8.49 (got this for 4.24 since I bought the eyestudio palette)
Promotions: BOGO 50% off Maybelline Products
Thoughts: This one was highly recommended by Holly in one of her older videos and I like this one a lot as well. I don't really use that liner color though. Haven't really experimented enough with this quad yet because it has such dark colors. I really like the Color Explosion Palette more. 




Item: Wet 'n Wild Eye Shadow Singles in Envy and Nutty
Cost (at Ulta): $1.99
Promotions: none
Thoughts: Haven't tried Nutty yet but I was using Envy and it looked super green on my eye :/. Not as nice as how it looked in Holly's tutorial. It was really funny because I was in the middle of trying out the Envy eyeshadow and decided to webcam with Tony and he was just like "Whoa what's going on with your eye?" lol.



Item: Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in Soft Nude
Cost (at CVS): $10.49 (got this for 50% off so paid $5.24)
Promotions: BOGO 50% off Revlon products
Thoughts: Maybe I'm just not used to the look of lipstick on my lips but this looked really chalky on me :/. I think my lips are way too dry and creased for lip sticks. I bought some Revlon lipglosses too (which I'll post later with my Sephora Friends & Family Haul) which I think look soooo much better on my lips. 



Item: Maybelline Baby Lips in Quenched and Pink Punch (?) lol
Cost (at CVS): $4.19 ($2.09 for the second) - I actually got them both for free because I had a $5 Beauty Club ExtraBucks and I have my employee discount as well. 
Promotions: BOGO 50% off Maybelline Products
Thoughts: I really love this product!! I love how it makes my lips feel super moisturized as if I had just used chapstick. I use the Quenched one daily just because it's clear and I use it to moisturize my lips before putting something pigmented on it. Haven't used the Pink Punch one that often because it's quite pigmented and that dark of a pink doesn't look that great on my lips. 


Item: Revlon PhotoReady Foundation in 006 Medium Beige
Cost (at CVS): $14.99
Promotions: BOGO 50% off Revlon cosmetics
Thoughts: Still in the process of trying this out. It hasn't even been a month so I don't feel like I've tried it for long enough yet. BUT I have been using this daily and it makes my skin look SUPER nice. I really like the dewier look and this product definitely gives that. My only problem with this product was that my skin broke out severely around the chin area and also in the area around my mouth. I'm not sure if this was due to the product or just that time of the month... hence, must try for a longer period of time lol. I also think it was due to the fact that I was using it as more of a concealer around my mouth because of all my scars there that made my skin break out (since it probably clogged all my pores :/). Will update in a month or so on how it's working out for me. 




Item: Rimmel Natural Bronzer
Cost (at Ulta): $2.99 (sale) but I bought 2 other items and got this free.
Promotions: Buy 2 Rimmel Items Get One Item Free
Thoughts: It's really just a bronzer. Nothing too special. I feel like it might be too dark of a color for me or maybe I'm just using too much of it :/ lol. 




Item: Urban Decay Naked Palette
Cost (at Ulta): $48 (also came with a mini Eyeshadow Primer) (just got a 20% off coupon from Ulta and Sephora Friends and Family... I should have waited to purchase this but oh well...)
Promotions: none... Although Urban Decay is having their Friends & Family sale for 20% off on their website (Code: FFHOLIDAY11) until 11/5/11 so it'd be a good time to buy as well.
Thoughts: Lots of great colors. I haven't gotten a chance to really experiment much with this palette but I definitely LOVE the eyeshadow primer!! This might sound like the dumbest thing on earth but I had no idea that putting on Eyeshadow primer prevents creasing!!! I was using eye shadow without the primer and I was like "why do I get a fricken line every time?!"... yup... such a nube :P




Item: Maybelline Eyestudio Gel Eyeliner in Blackest Black
Cost (at Target): $6.99 (plus dollar off coupon found in magazine)
Promotions: none
Thoughts: I've been using this eyeliner every day and I really like it. It's completely replaced my Almay eyeliner which says a lot because I've used Almay forever. The thing I hated about Almay was that it smudged like a mother so people would always tell me that my eyeliner was smudged. This one smudges a little but definitely stays in place better than Almay. I like my eyeliner super dark and this one is obviously very buildable. 

Alright kiddies... I'm off to work. Day 8 of 8 baby! Finally! There IS a light at the end of the tunnel! I have the next 7 days off so be prepared for posts! posts! posts! posts posts posts! (if you couldn't tell that was to the rhythm of shots... yeah... I get pretty delirious sometimes lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...