Monday, April 22, 2013

Debt Free by 33: Extreme Couponing





I usually buy my drugstore beauty products at CVS/pharmacy since I get a ton of coupons and I have my employee discount. Their prices are definitely pricier than say Target but the coupons make up for it. Here's how to make the most bang for your buck.

  1. Join their Beauty Club. For every $50 you spend in beauty products, you get a $5 coupon. Now I don't really buy much stuff from CVS and I was still able to get the whopping $15 coupon so it's definitely worth it. 
  2. Make sure you check the weekly ad and buy at the right time. There are a lot of things you can buy where you can get ExtraBucks. Wait for those times to buy those specific items. Another thing I like are the Buy 1 Get 1 50% off. Don't buy things when they are not on sale. That's just asking to pay an arm and a leg.
  3. Always go to the coupon center and print out your coupons before you shop. A lot of times there are random coupons that have been picked out just for you! 
  4. Pay attention to the expiration dates. There are usually different expiration dates for each type of coupon depending on whether it's a store coupon, manufacturer's coupon or just ExtraBucks you've earned. Easiest way to lose out is to let those expiration dates come and go. Especially when you earn ExtraBucks, don't let those go to waste! You wouldn't throw money in the trash now would you?

Now let's look at how I made a killing last week. I had the following coupons:

  • $3 extrabucks for buying Almay products (coupon I got for buying a $5.99 eyeliner)
  • $4 off cosmetics purchase of $12 or more (coupon I got from the coupon center)
  • $1 off any Maybelline Face Product (coupon I got from the coupon center)
  • $15 Beauty Club ExtraBucks Rewards (coupon I got for spending apparently $150 in Beauty products?? O_O)
  • $5 off $30 purchase (coupon that was emailed to me)

Products I bought:
  • Physicians Formula Organic Wear Mascara in Black 1063 (Bonus 2 pack) - $4.79 (on sale; $6 off all Physicians Formula products $6.49 and up)
  • Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in 025 Sweetheart Valentine and 045 Romantic - $9.99, $4.99 (BOGO 50% off Revlon products)
  • Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters in 050 Berry Smoothie and 053 Sorbet (New) - $8.49, 4.24 (BOGO 50% off Revlon products)
  • Maybelline Baby Lips Limited Edition Lip Balms in Coral Crush and Twinkle - $8.49 (regular price)
  • CVS Hand Sanitizer - $1.99
  • Ice Breakers Spearmint Mints - $2.49
  • Nice and Clean Wipes - $1.19
  • 2 packs of CVS brand tissues - $0.99

Total that I should have paid: $47.65

Total that I actually paid before taxes: $19.65 (including my employee discount it dropped to $16.31)

I saved: $28.00 (w/ my discount I saved $31.34)


That's mostly how I'm able to buy (and accumulate) my beauty products! Hope this helps you stay not only money savvy but also beauty savvy!





2 comments:

  1. Every time I see people extreme couponing, I still can't believe it! The last one that I saw, the store even owed them $100 in credit, which was pretty shocking that it was even possible. But, doing this takes a lot of work and eats up a lot of time. Although, the payoff is really rewarding and it can save you thousands of dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve watched the show once and I was like, “That can’t be true. The show has to be paying for all that.” But then a few weeks ago, I went to the grocery store and saw it in action. It may not have been the same as those in the show, like cart after cart of groceries and whatnot, but what got my attention was the amount she had to pay afterwards: $20 for 8 bags full of food and other household needs, which was originally around $80+, if I remember correctly. That’s a lot of savings right there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...