Monday, April 15, 2013

Debt Free by 33: Fun Money



When it comes to saving money, I've always been the type to eliminate all the fun out of life to save those few extra dollars. However, I've recently come to the conclusion that although that works for some people, that just doesn't work for me. I remember awhile back reading an article about some dude that paid off all his school loans in a few years after graduation by not going out, not buying drinks, etc etc. I was rather motivated to try that route but when you worked as hard as I did to get through all this schooling and you're finally making good money, it's really hard to give up the little things that keep you going. This is why it's important to budget out some fun money every month for nice things to keep you sane.

For instance, one of my biggest "luxuries" (at least it is to me lol) is to get Starbucks every day. I only get it on the days I work (4-5 days a week depending on my mood) but it makes me happy and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. The worst feeling is when you feel bitter towards yourself for putting every cent you earn towards that loan. You earned your money! Live a little! So I budget $71 ($3.55 x 5 days per week x 4 weeks in a month) every month towards my Starbucks fund. And it's actually a little less since I get a free drink for every 12 drinks with my gold card. Some people might be thinking that it's $71 that could be going towards my loan but that $71 per month is keeping me sane at work! And let me just say my sanity is worth every penny! lol.

So whatever that little luxury might be, budget so that you can splurge on yourself; because you're worth it!


2 comments:

  1. Amen to starbucks on working days!!! Hubs used to get really annoyed with my daily starbucks habit but I think that he's grown used to it. It gives me something to look forward to on the days I have to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I think only pharmers can understand the joy that a simple starbucks could bring!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...