Wednesday, January 22, 2014

San Diego Restaurant Week 2014: The Marine Room




First stop for San Diego Restaurant Week was at The Marine Room. Recommended to me by my friend Christine for their spectacular views, I could not resist making a reservation.

Started the night off with some drinks: Dan-hattan and Sassy Mule. Both were very strong so I guess you could say there were worth their hefty $15 price tags :P.



Next up were appetizers. We ordered the Prawn Duet and Mushroom Bisque (see menu above for complete details). Very flavorful. I'm a lover of soup and their mushroom bisque did not disappoint. In fact, Tony had stop me from actually doing my Charles Dickens impression of "Please sir, I want some more" to the waiter. I was thinking of even asking to trade my dessert for some more soup. Yes. It was good. I had read on their Yelp page that their Lobster Bisque is really good also so I'm sure I'll probably be back to try that (maybe if they have that on the next Restaurant Week menu? Purty please?!).





For our entrees we ordered the Diver Scallops and the Filet Mignon. Scallops were good but definitely not the best I've had. The sauce was light yet flavorful. The scallops themselves were pretty tasty but Tony ended up biting into a huge piece of sand lol. The Filet Mignon we got medium rare and even still it felt tough. Ever since I discovered rare plus (which isn't quite rare but just a notch below medium rare), medium rare just isn't the same anymore. I guess I like my cows moo-ing. I also felt like the sauce was a bit overpowering. I really couldn't taste the flavor of the meat with all the sauce slathered all over it. Still, I think the next time I order steak it'll have to be rare plus.





Finally, for dessert we had the Trilogy. The cacoa was definitely SUPER rich. I couldn't eat all of it. My favorite of the three was probably the gelato. Nothing that really stood out or was to die for.



Overall, I would give the food 4 stars. The standout of the night was the mushroom bisque. The ambiance of the restaurant is super romantic as you watch the waves crash up to your window. Maybe next time we'll make a reservation close to sunset. I also requested to sit next to the window but we ended up sitting 3 rows back from the window so I would suggest getting there earlier for the best seat (we got there 5 minutes after our reservation because we got lost).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...